Welcome to the section of the website where you can find out more about the governors at Bordesley Green Girls' School and Sixth Form, and the work that they do.
Governors’ main role is to set the vision for the school in conjunction with the Headteacher and senior staff and to hold the Headteacher to account. A phrase often used to describe this role is ‘a critical friend’ and in the role of critical friends, governors help staff to set and reach targets and to strive for excellence across the whole spectrum of school life.
They use two key documents too help plan and coordinate their work:
- the School Development Plan (SDP) which sets out the strategic plan for the school, with targets that everyone works towards, and;
- our Self-Review documentation which sets out how well the school is doing and where we aim to make improvements.
Governors’ legal duties include:
- setting strategic direction, policies and objectives
- approving the school budget and reviewing progress against the school's budget and objectives
- appointing, challenging and supporting the Headteacher
Governors discharge these responsibilities, together with many others, through a Governing Body meeting each term. These are supplemented by a series of sub-committee meetings dealing with specific issues. A number of governors also have responsibilities for specific issues within the school such as special educational needs (SEN), safeguarding and financial controls.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Governing Body of Bordesley Green Girls School consists of four categories of Governor:
- Co-opted Governors
- Local Authority Governors
- Staff Governors (including the Headteacher), and:
- Parent Governors.
All governors have equal status no matter which type of governor they are. They are recruited after a thorough skills-analysis each time there is a vacancy to ensure that, collectively, the governors have all the skills needed to manage a complex, multi-million pound organisation.
Details of our Governors, their responsibilities, terms of office and any pecuniary (business) interests they have declared are available via the link at the bottom of this page.
Contacting School Governors
To contact Governors, please write to the Chair of Governors, care of the school, or use the email address for the Head's PA shown on the Contact Us page, making sure the email clearly indicates it is for the attention of the Chair of Governors.
GOVERNOR DETAILS 2018
|Mrs Judith Woodfield||Mr Ian Hedley||Prof. Urzsula Clark||Ms Helen Briant|
|Headteacher||Chair of Governors||Vice Chair of Governors||Chair of Resources Cttee|
|(Chair of Curriculum Ctte)|